Monday, March 5, 2012

Travel Day One

We made it through security in no time, which is what I was most anxious about. You know – the long lines, excited kids, and lots of carry-ons were all things I was concerned about, but we walked straight up to the desk with no wait whatsoever. It was funny to be a party of 14 checking in for a trip to Bangladesh….they got a kick out of that. The security officer I had (Diana) asked me who paid for this trip and I answered honestly – “God!” We are still overwhelmed with His provision through so many of you. We are blessed and encouraged by your love and support!
I have to tell you the funny that happened at that same desk. The TSA official at that desk asked Michael if he was traveling with his sister (referring to me). We both were a little dumbstruck at first but then we started laughing as Michael said, “Ummmmmmmm, this is my mom.” I got a laugh out of that (for obvious reasons) but the funniest part is that Michael thought it was just as cool as I did because from his perspective, it meant that he looked MUCH older than his 14 years. HaHa!!!!
The only thing they took from us in our many, many carry-ons was 2 small aerosol cans of deodorant. No big deal! Oh wait………we are going to a tropical climate which is hot and humid and the two people who lost their deodorant are Mike and Michael. That is – NOT GOOD. Hmmmm….well, hopefully there will be some in Dhaka somewhere.
Mrs. Benson would be happy to know that Ethan & Morgan whipped out their math assignments the minute we got to our gate. We were so impressed with their diligence (somehow I think that is what they were striving for). Wyatt pulled out his travel pillow and put it around his neck as he listened to tunes and did sticker books with the younger kids. I’m pretty sure we can look forward to him entertaining us on this trip. Allison and Kenlee wanted to dig into their snack boxes the minute we sat down at the gate, even though we had just eaten lunch. I guess those snack boxes were just too good of an idea! We had assembled them with the children this last week as a plan to A) generate excitement (as if we needed encouragement in that department) and B) to prevent the kids from asking us for snacks every hour on the hour. This way they would have their own supply that is intended to last all the way to Dhaka (Tuesday morning, MST). We warned them that “when its gone its gone – so choose carefully”. I guess these two just couldn’t wait even thirty more minutes before breaking into some crackers and cheese. So funny!
More from Singapore tomorrow morning…

No comments:

Post a Comment