Monday, January 14, 2013

My Time in Costa Rica

by Michael Durrill 

I had the opportunity this week to go along with my school to Costa Rica with Pura Vida Missions. We did Vacation Bible School with kids at two different sites each day for four days. We all made connections with at least one child. I got to know these two little boys pretty well. One is Alonso, and the other ones name is Joseth. I met them both at the first site on the second day and they didn't leave my side until it was time for us to leave for the last time. Each day we would bring soccer balls, basketballs, frisbees, jump ropes, etc., and just play with the kids for about an hour.


Then we would gather all of the kids together and sing songs in Spanish and recite a memory verse which was 2 Corinthians 6:16. Next someone would get up and teach a lesson to all of the children and then we would do a craft. It was really special when Alonso came up to me and handed me his craft that he had made and said, "Tú es mi amigo?" I replied, "Sí," and he smiled. All of the kids at both sites always wanted piggy-back rides and we gave almost every kid a ride at both sites.


We were so tired at the end of every day. It was really hard to say goodbye on Thursday but I was glad that I had the opportunity to be able to go. It really helped my high school bond and a lot of friendships were made in Costa Rica too.

If any of you ever have an opportunity to take a missions trip to another country, I would encourage you to take that opportunity. I really loved being able to see another culture and meet new people and make connections with the kids. It doesn't matter if you only know a little bit of Spanish, you will find a way to communicate. I had full conversations with these two boys and and was able to get almost all of it!

Thank you for praying for me and the rest of the mission team.  We had a great trip and learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment