Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Malumghat


For those of you who haven’t been there in years and wonder how it looks now….here are some pictures for you to enjoy.  As I said, it’s a little like stepping back in time.  Feel free to insert your memories here:
Standing in the school field and looking at the back of the hospital.
The national school.
Darwan shack across from Houses 9 and 10.
House 10 (Now the nursing school).  This was my childhood home.
Sign as you come up to the hospital from the north (Cheringa).
If these brick could talk….
Guest House room (complete with cockroaches!).
The walk down into Hollywood Bowl.  The pavilion you see on the right covers a couple of Bengali style clay ovens for khanas.
Guest House (rooms 3 & 4).
See?  Didn’t I tell you it was like stepping back in time?
And it still has all things bright and beautiful everywhere you look!
Behind the guest house looking down into Mud Lake.
Behind the guest house (on Mud Lake side).
Guest House
Hollywood Bowl/Mud Lake region.  Where the red is – that is someone walking UP the hill to toward House 1.
Yep…another image from our memories and yet….LIVE.  Weird.
The bamboo grove around Mud Lake.  These are HUGE…their trunks being as big as a salad plate.
Guest House
On the path up from Hollywood Bowl (looking toward the khal with House 1′s carport in view.)
Darwan Shack on the hill in front of House 2.
Standing between Houses 2 and 3 and looking at House 4.
As pretty as I remembered!
Houses 3 and 4.
House 4
House 5 (looking from House 6).
OPD on the right and the front gate.
OPD
Ahhh!!!!
Don’t you just love the grass roof they built into the corner for shade?  It’s just beautiful!  And aren’t those girgen trees as awesome as you remember?
The view behind SGR 2.
Behind SGR 2 – the most beautiful green in the world!
Hollywood Bowl (and that’s my son!  How cool is it that he got to see Malumghat!?!?)
And so, there you go!  Hope you enjoyed your walk around Malumghat!  I love it and miss it so very much already.  The really amazing thing about Malumghat is that life is slow there…just my speed

  • There is no running off to the grocery store (and yet you never run out of food).  
  • There is no shopping for this or that (so there is no spending money on things you don’t really need….ahem – Target.)  
  • There are only so many events per year (as opposed to our so many events to choose from per night).  
  • There are three (yes, THREE) meals a day eaten together as a family.  Even during the school year because you just walk home for lunch!
  • There is rest hour built into each and every day.
  • There are unlimited things to do if you have any sort of imagination.
  • And you get to know people because you have real-life conversations.  No email, text, cell phones, Facebook, etc.  It’s real life and real deep.  
I’ve always wondered why I resist the rat-race so much here in the USA.  I find myself stressed out with our culture of busy-ness more quickly than the average American.  It’s been a frustrating and discouraging thing to me for many years, but after this trip I now have a better understanding of myself.  THIS is how I grew up…and this is WHY I love a slow pace.  I had the best of childhoods and I am ever so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment